TOWER OF POWER
Sad news has come my way.
I heard, via Facebook wall, that Tower Records is closing. I don't know how I feel. I'm sad. It's like. You just go to Tower.
Tower Records is a Sacramento-Based chain of record stores. The great thing about it is that even though it's a chain that's all over from California to Washington DC it still feels like your little tiny neighborhood shop. Hand written dividers, really eclectic stuff, a stack of OC/SAC Weekly and freelance zines, local band posters everywhere, elitist tatted rivers-cuomo wanna be's wearing a name tag with 1" band buttons rolling their eyes as they direct you to the Johnny Cash.
Some people have habits, vices, weaknesses. I watched peers in college blow a paycheck on purses or glasses or jeans. I had a problem with shopping, but not for those things. For me, records is it. I wasn't a huge Tower shopper, but it's just such a part of my own history, and my hometown's history. I remember my Dad and Uncle talking music and it would always come up. When I moved down to Southern California I remember feeling a sense of calm when I saw the red and yellow sign as I drove towards PCH.
So to Tower - I salute you. Thank you for making me feel like I could be a music snob - even though I failed a bit. And in this time of sorrow,
I am forced to ask myself: WWRGD?
What Would Rob Gordon Do?

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music? "

I heard, via Facebook wall, that Tower Records is closing. I don't know how I feel. I'm sad. It's like. You just go to Tower.
Tower Records is a Sacramento-Based chain of record stores. The great thing about it is that even though it's a chain that's all over from California to Washington DC it still feels like your little tiny neighborhood shop. Hand written dividers, really eclectic stuff, a stack of OC/SAC Weekly and freelance zines, local band posters everywhere, elitist tatted rivers-cuomo wanna be's wearing a name tag with 1" band buttons rolling their eyes as they direct you to the Johnny Cash.
Some people have habits, vices, weaknesses. I watched peers in college blow a paycheck on purses or glasses or jeans. I had a problem with shopping, but not for those things. For me, records is it. I wasn't a huge Tower shopper, but it's just such a part of my own history, and my hometown's history. I remember my Dad and Uncle talking music and it would always come up. When I moved down to Southern California I remember feeling a sense of calm when I saw the red and yellow sign as I drove towards PCH.
So to Tower - I salute you. Thank you for making me feel like I could be a music snob - even though I failed a bit. And in this time of sorrow,
I am forced to ask myself: WWRGD?
What Would Rob Gordon Do?

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music? "



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home